- Low Cost Meals
Recipes for low cost desserts
Whether you are looking to save money, or perhaps you have a passion for making desserts, there are numerous ways in which you can create your own masterpieces. There are many recipes for low-cost desserts that will catch your eye, wet your palate and have you rushing to finish your main course!
The beauty of making your own dessert is the fact that you can make little tweaks to the base recipe, adding additional ingredients to suit your taste. So, without further ado let’s take a look at seven recipes for low-cost desserts which will go down extremely well with the family.
Healthy appetising dessert
Unfortunately, many of the appetising desserts we buy from supermarkets are high in calories and high in sugar. As a consequence, they are perhaps not the healthiest or the most cost-effective desserts you can have. You will be pleasantly surprised at the low-cost dessert menu we have listed below, all easy to make and often requiring very little in the way of ingredients.
Berries with Vanilla Custard
When you add fruit and custard to the same dessert you get the smooth creamy flavour of the custard and the tangy kick of the fruit. Well, we are certain that this low-cost dessert of berries with vanilla custard will hit the spot. The ingredients are as follows:-
• 1 cup half-and-half cream
• 2 large egg yolks
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 2 cups fresh berries
Now you have the ingredients, it is now time to prepare your dessert which will be ready in less than 20 minutes:-
1. Use a small heavy saucepan, adding the sugar, egg yolks and the cream.
2. Stir over low heat until the mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon.
3. Using a thermometer, check that the temperature of the custard mix is at least 160°. But don’t allow the mixture to boil.
4. Now transfer the mixture into a bowl, stir in the vanilla for flavour and refrigerate until cold.
5. Serve over fresh berries and you have a low cost appetising dessert.
Crunchy Chocolate Mint Balls
Hands up if you have a sweet tooth and a regular craving for chocolate? Well, you are not alone. The crunchy chocolate mint balls dessert we are about to show you will leave your palate quenched and refreshed. To be honest, even the thought will have you salivating.
So, without further ado let’s take a look at how to make crunchy chocolate mint balls. Firstly, you will require the following ingredients:-
• 1 package (10 ounces) mint chocolate chips
• 1/4 cup butter, softened
• 1 tin(14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
• 1-1/4 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (about 22 wafers)
• White jimmies
Now comes the interesting part, preparing your mouth-watering dessert:-
1. Using a double boiler/metal bowl over hot water, melt the chocolate chips and butter, stirring until smooth.
2. Next add the milk, stirring as you pour.
3. Add the wafer crumbs and mix to ensure they are coated.
4. Then refrigerate for one hour.
5. When easy to handle, roll into balls and then roll in the white jimmies.
6. Place these on waxed paper, lining a baking tray and freeze until firm.
7. These may be frozen for up to one month.
8. When using the frozen balls, thaw gradually at room temperature.
Easy Ice Cream Sundae Dessert
Everyone seems to like ice cream. You will be amazed at how easy it is to create your own ice cream sundae and, once you are confident, add in your own twists and tweaks. For this dessert you require:-
• 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
• 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 package (12 ounces) vanilla wafers, crushed
• 1/2 cup butter, melted
• 2 quarts vanilla ice cream or flavour of your choice, softened
From start to finish, including prep and freezing time, this will take no more than 45 minutes. So, the next thing to do is:-
1. Melt the chocolate chips with milk and salt in a saucepan, on a medium heat.
2. Cook and stir for around 25 minutes, until it is thickened, then remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Combine a cupful of wafer crumbs and butter.
4. Use the remaining crumbs to create a crispy base in a 13” x 9” pan.
5. Chill the pan for between 10 and 15 minutes then pour the melted chocolate over the crumbs.
6. Cover and freeze for between 10 and 15 minutes or until the ingredients are firm.
7. Spread your plain/flavoured ice cream over the chocolate and sprinkle the remaining crumbs on top.
8. Freeze for at least two hours before serving.
Macaroon Ice Cream Torte
This macaroon ice cream torte is dominated by chocolate prepared in four different ways. The cool chocolate hit will have your taste buds bouncing and your mouth watering. The ingredients are as follows:-
• 30 chocolate or plain macaroon cookies, crumbled
• 1 quart coffee ice cream, softened if necessary
• 1 quart chocolate ice cream, softened if necessary
• 1 cup milk chocolate toffee bits or 4 Heath candy bars (1.4 ounces each), coarsely chopped
• Hot fudge topping, warmed
Don’t worry, preparation time for this macaroon ice cream torte is only 20 minutes, so you won’t have long to wait. Next:-
1. Sprinkle 1/3 of the cookies into an ungreased 9 inch springform pan.
2. Then layer with 2 cups of coffee ice cream.
3. Add one third of the cookies, then 2 cups of chocolate ice cream.
4. Next add half a cup of toffee bits.
5. Repeat the process to add additional layers, and then freeze until firm.
6. This dessert can be stored for up to 2 months as frozen.
7. Remove the torte from the freezer, leave for 10 minutes before slicing and serve with a fudge topping.
Chocolate Butterscotch Haystacks
These chocolate butterscotch haystacks may look relatively basic from a distance but they are extremely tasty. The recipe is very simple and requires the following ingredients:-
• 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
• 1 package (10 to 11 ounces) butterscotch chips
• 4 cups crispy chow mein noodles
The instructions for making chocolate butterscotch haystacks could not be easier. You simply:-
1. Melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in the microwave or in a large metal bowl placed over simmering water.
2. Stir until smooth and then gently stir in the noodles.
3. Using a tablespoon, drop small balls of the mixture onto a waxed paper lined baking sheet.
4. Refrigerate for between 10 to 15 minutes, until set and they are ready to serve.
Almond Pear Tart
This almond pear tart recipe is one of the tastiest we have come across and is also relatively cheap to make. The ingredients are fairly simple:-
• Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
• 3/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 4 cups sliced peeled fresh pears (about 4 medium)
• 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
Next we need to use these ingredients to rustle up our tasty almond pear tart. Ensuring all of your ingredients are to hand, you simply:-
1. Roll the dough into a 10 inch circle on a lightly floured surface.
2. Then transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet.
3. Using a large bowl, add three quarters of a cup of sugar, flour and pears, tossing to coat them.
4. Using a spoon spread the crust to within 2 inches of the edge of the baking tray.
5. Pour in the filling and then fold up the crust over the filling, leaving the centre uncovered.
6. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
7. Bake at 450° until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling (around 15 minutes).
8. Sprinkle with almonds and then bake for a further five minutes.
9. When cooked, move the tart onto a wire rack to cool.
10. Once it has cooled, you’re ready to serve your delicious dessert.
Frosty Watermelon Ice
Last but not least, check out this tangy frosty watermelon ice dessert which will refresh your palate. Prep time for this dessert is a relatively short 20 minutes and requires the following ingredients:-
• 1 teaspoon unflavoured gelatine
• 2 tablespoons water
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 4 cups cubed seedless watermelon, divided
Now, let’s make some frosty watermelon ice dessert! The instructions are as follows:-
1. Using a microwave safe bowl, gently sprinkle the gelatine over the water.
2. Let this stand for one minute then microwave on high for 40 seconds.
3. Stir then let the gelatine stand until it is dissolved, this usually takes between one and two minutes.
4. Add the lime juice, honey and gelatine mix into a blender.
5. Add 1 cup of watermelon then cover and process until completely blended.
6. Now add the remaining watermelon, 1 cup measurements at a time, blending into a smooth texture as you go.
7. Transfer the blended mix to a shallow dish and freeze until almost firm.
8. Using a chilled bowl and an electric mixer, mix until you see a bright pink colouring, then cover and freeze until firm.
9. Before serving, remove from the freezer and let it stand for between 15 and 20 minutes.
There are many different recipes for low cost desserts but we have tried to find a selection to suit different palettes. The recipes take in the chilled crisp flavour of the watermelon to an ice cream sundae, the thick and enticing apple pear tart and a macaroon ice cream torte, and more. There is much to choose from. However, there is one problem; once you start to make your own desserts, you may very quickly become obsessed. Your original goal of saving money may be long forgotten!
by Mark Benson
May 28, 2021
Mark previously enjoyed 15 years as a stockbroker/financial adviser and still maintains a strong interest in all things financial. Over the years, he has written about subjects such as property finance, loans, pensions, insurance, stock market investments, tax planning and more. Mark believes it is essential to keep up with the latest financial regulations and adapt your finances accordingly, something he portrays in his financial articles.